2020 Annual Conference
New Dates: October 28-30, 2020
Joint Conference with VRA and Old Dominion SWANA
Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront
2020 Annual Conference Postponed
The VRA Board has been monitoring the spread of COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus) in Virginia, along with the concerns of our members and sponsors. The Board has conferred with our SWANA colleagues and agree that the best decision is to postpone the annual conference.
We are working together with SWANA to finalize the details for the rescheduled conference and we are now able to provide you with the new dates. Thank you for your patience as we took a measured approach to this decision.
- Please cancel your individual reservations booked directly with the hotel as soon as possible.
- Neither VRA nor the hotel may cancel your reservation without your knowledge so it is very important that you do this immediately.
- VRA will not be responsible for any fees incurred due to not cancelling your hotel reservation.
VRA Board Elections:
- The situation with the COVID-19 that caused us to postpone the 2020 conference also impacts the VRA Board Elections that were scheduled during the conference
- The Board is determining how we will handle governance matters in the interim, and we will send out an election update as soon as possible.
On a Personal Note:
The health and safety of our friends and colleagues, and the recognition that many of us are working hard to maintain the infrastructure of our communities during this challenging time has led us to make the decision to postpone our annual conference.
In the interest of transparency, it has not been easy. The Board has explored alternative ways to still have a great conference, while ensuring that attendees would be safe, and the financial interests of both VRA and SWANA would be protected. Due to the lack of official travel bans or prohibitions from the CDC, our contracted hotel would not allow us to invoke the “Force Majeure” clause that would make it possible to cancel the conference outright, nor would they compromise by rescheduling without charging us significant penalties. Fortunately, they have finally relented and given us the option to reschedule the conference without severe penalties.
We hope members and sponsors agree with the VRA and SWANA Boards’ joint decision. Our members, their families, and the community’s safety and health will always be our first consideration.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the conference, please contact:
Attend a Conference
You don’t have to be a VRA member to attend one of our conferences! VRA conferences provide an interesting and valuable forum for discussion on issues affecting recycling here and around the US.
What will you gain?
- The opportunity to sharpen your skills, hear new ideas and find better ways to recycle.
- You’ll meet with experts and influencers in the field of recycling and have the chance for a face to face conversation.
- The VRA Conference is an excellent opportunity to establish working relationships with colleagues and build on existing ones through breakout sessions, lunch or at one of the after conference activities.
- Our conferences are the perfect place for vendors to showcase new equipment and services. You’ll see hands-on demonstrations and be able to ask questions that are specific to your business or organizational needs.
- You’ll be able to have that random conversation or raise a point during a discussion that may lead to something new that changes the way everyone thinks about recycling!